H. C. Verma is an experimental physicist and a retired professor of Physics from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. His field of research was nuclear physics. H. C. Verma is well-known as the author of the two-volume books Concepts of Physics.
H. C. Verma was born as Harish Chandra Verma on Tuesday, 8 April 1952 (age 69 years; as of 2021), in Darbhanga, Bihar. His zodiac sign is Aries. After completing his schooling from Darbhanga, Verma took enrolled at Patna Science College to pursue B.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Physics. Verma earned his B.Sc. (Hons.) in Physics with good marks, and he stood third in the university. Further, he took admission to the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, and pursued M.Sc. (Physics), and then he earned his Ph.D. in 1979.
Height(approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Gray (semi-bald)
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
H. C. Verma’s father’s name is Ganesh Prasad Verma. He was a teacher and had his own school in Samastipur. H. C. Verma’s mother’s name is Ramvati Verma. H. C. Verma has an elder brother, Devi Prasad Verma.
Wife & Children
H. C. Verma got married to Amrita Verma. They have a daughter together, Roli Esha.
Birth of the book Concepts of Physics
In 1980, after completing his formal education, H. C. Verma joined Patna Science College at the post of a lecturer. While working as a lecturer in college, H. C. Verma realized that students are facing major problems in understanding the simple concepts of Physics. He started looking for a person who had written a simpler version of the renowned Physics book, Resnick & Halliday. However, there was no one who had done this before; so Verma decided to write a textbook that will be as authentic as the content of the original book but easier for Indian students to understand. After spending eight years creating content, Verma finally published a two-volume book, Concepts of Physics in 1992.
Moving to IIT Kanpur
In 1994, Verma left his job at Patna Science College and began working as an assistant professor in IIT Kanpur. H. C. Verma taught many professional and core courses like quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, nuclear physics, etc.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Siksha Puruskar in 2017
A few years ago, a Twitter handle with the name ‘Real Heroes’ made a Tweet on their account saying that H. C. Verma receives Rs. 1 crore as royalty for the books he has written, which he then donates to PM’s relief fund or to some charity. The account also mentioned that he still drives his old Bajaj Priya scooter. H. C. Verma responded to this by making a statement on his Facebook account and said that he is an ordinary man like every other person. The claims made by the Twitter account were fake, and he never owned a scooter of that color. This news was further shared by many people on Twitter and Facebook to spread awareness regarding the fake news.
- H. C. Verma was not a studious kid when he was in school, and he struggled in passing his exams. He was in the tenth standard when his mother was preparing his favorite sweets on the occasion of Chhath Puja. Her mother made a deal with him saying that for every hour H. C. Verma would spend studying, she will give him two pieces of the sweet delicacy. H. C. Verma started studying as he was getting bored in the kitchen and after this incident, he was motivated to study for his exams, and later, he passed all his exams.
- H. C. Verma’s first salary as a lecturer at Patna Science College was Rs. 796.
- While working as a professor in IIT Kanpur, H. C. Verm started an NGO called Shiksha Sopan along with several other faculty members and students. The NGO focuses on providing educational aid to those children who live near the IIT Kanpur campus and cannot afford to pay for their education.
- H. C. Verma was an active member of the Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT). He started a new project called the National Anveshika Network of India (NANI) in 2011, and IAPT helped in the initiative by opening-up several centers in more than 22 cities across India. More than 1000 schools and colleges gained the benefits of the initiative as they conducted several training activities, teaching aid development classes, etc.
- H. C. Verma has developed almost 600 physics experiments which are used by several teachers and professors as demo experiments in their classrooms. He also developed various informal and open-ended experiments that can be carried out by a student in the classroom where they can assemble and perform the experiments on their own. H. C. Verma has also conducted various workshops for the Physics teachers to teach them about some demo-based training methods which would help the students to connect science with real life.
- He has trained more than 8000 teachers with his workshops, and over 1000 teachers have changed their way of teaching, and now, they enjoy the subject. From these 1000 teachers, H. C. Verma formed a group of 50 teachers and called them ‘Utsahi Physics Teachers.’ In summers, H. C. Verma conducts workshops for these 50 teachers, however, there are always some new additions in the group. The National Academy of Science India (NASI) provides the funding for the activities to run peacefully.
- H. C. Verma is fond of yoga and he is often spotted practicing yoga with his family and students.
- H. C. Verma also has a YouTube account where he uploads videos on Important topics related to Physics and gives certain real-life examples.
- On 30 June 2017, H. C. Verma retired from IIT Kanpur as a professor of Physics. In July 2017, the YouTube channel ‘The Viral Fever’ made a video on H. C. Verma and uploaded it on their channel in his honor.
#Verma #Wiki #Age #Wife #Children #Biography #WikiBio